27 February 2012

A New Face for Froglife Scotland

Froglife has recently started an exciting one year programme in Scotland with the active volunteer conservation group the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers (BTCV). Here Natural Communities placement recruit Faith Hillier provides insight into the busy year ahead of her.

“The Natural Communities programme is a yearlong apprenticeship developed by BTCV through a grant by Heritage Lottery Funding. Through this scheme I’ll receive a variety of valuable training opportunities to ensure I’m equipped with the necessary tools to engage fully with local communities. The knowledge I gain will be used to assist Froglife in increasing engagement work and volunteering opportunities with communities through the Living Waters project in North Lanarkshire. In exchange, Froglife will also provide me with many opportunities to expand my amphibian, reptile and pond creation knowledge.

Froglifers Faith and Eilidh
So far, I’ve had some really interesting of training with BTCV in Stirling, followed by a My Wild Life session held in Glasgow with Froglife. I especially enjoyed interacting with children and adults during the intergenerational session, which brought together school pupils and members of Glasgow Natural History Society to talk about their experiences with wildlife. It was an inspiring first day with Froglife!

Sharing stories on the My Wild Life project
I’ve also assisted on a volunteer day digging a pond and building a hibernacula, met with community group leaders and visited pond creation/restoration sites. In the next few weeks I will attend training on great crested newts with Froglife, community engagement with BTCV and John Muir Award leadership training.

I’m hoping to make the most of my background in education to help work on interesting events and volunteering experiences and getting Froglife out into the local community.”

• If you would like to get more involved in Froglife’s work in Scotland, please contact Faith.Hillier@froglife.org 
• You can read more from Faith at the Natural Communities Blog here

No comments: